Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Storms in Life

There are times in life when we go through storms both figuratively and sometimes literally. These are simple reminders that this is not our permanent home. Sometimes Jesus brings us rain. And a lot of times it makes us better people and brings us closer to Him.

My heart and prayers go out to Joplin, Missouri, a city just two hours away from me. On Sunday evening, an F5 tornado went through and destroyed 1/3 of the city. It has really shaken us up as we continue to see devastating footage on the news. People are still missing and many have been left with nothing. Please consider donating money, bloods, or supplies. Here is a fellow blogger's site you can check out for more specifics. Also, many churches are organizing volunteers and have collections for money and supplies. If you don't have a church you can go here.

Many people think those who live in the Midwest are used to tornadoes.  Let me tell you that is definitely false. These types of storms are scary and tornadoes are very unpredictable. Thankfully, I've never actually been in one (though I've hit the basement numerous times in my life) and I've never seen one. And I'd like to keep it that way.

Please send prayers our way and especially Joplin's way as we are all supposed to get hit again with powerful thunderstorms tonight. It has been a humid but somewhat cool day too - perfect tornado weather.
And last I want to leave you with the lyrics to a song I am really loving right now. Like I've said before, music can be so powerful in relieving stress and helping you cope with your emotions. This song takes on a personal meaning for me, and it is also my prayer for those affected by the tornado in Joplin. 

Mercy Me
"Bring The Rain"

I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You
Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days
When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of
The dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me
By suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain
So I pray

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

3 comments:

  1. And just as I posted this, there are already tornadoes in Oklahoma. Praying hard for the Midwest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Lauren. Thanks for sharing the info on how specifically to help. Pretty scary, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jordan. It was very scary, and I'm so glad last night turned out ok for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete